Miyabi 5000MCD 9.5″ slicer Birchwood series SG2
Click for current price ➔
Do you use any excuse possible to get out of slicing the turkey at Christmas or Thanksgiving? Carving large fowl and roasted meats can be challenging for novice and hobby chefs. However, more often than not, the problems experienced are a direct result of the ‘carving knife’ being too broad and weighty. With its long, slim-line profile, and semi-flexibility, ZWILLING’s stunning Miyabi 5000 MCD 9.5” Sujihiki Knife puts paid to the problem of messily carved fowl – and could help you refine your ‘pull’ slicing technique too!
Though modernly considered an ‘all-purpose’ knife, the Sujihiki was traditionally used for fileting large fish, and slicing cattle meat. Marginally longer, and visibly thinner than a Gyutoh, ZWILLING’s Miyabi 5000 MCD Sujihiki features a fine, precision angled blade (between 9.5 and 12 degrees per side) honed using a traditional Japanese technique known as Honbazuke. Utilized by master craftsmen for centuries in Japan, this manual technique allows for far greater control over blade symmetry, and a sublime sharpness enhanced further by ZWILLING’s patented, 4-step CRYODUR® hardening regime.
Sujihiki, or Yaniga-ba? It’s a common question posed by home chefs, and the answer rather depends on how you intend to use the knife. While both have a similar profile, the Yaniga-ba is single-beveled, flexible, and marginally thinner, therefore lends itself better to slicing fish and other thin proteins (ideal for sashimi). Featuring a powdered steel, Micro-Carbide MC63 core, encased within a hundred layers of floral-etched Damascus steel, ZWILLING’s Miyabi 5000 MCD Sujihiki is strong and resistant, yet is still flexible enough to be used for slicing most fish!
- Size: 9.5”/ 240 mm
- Stunning all-purpose carving knife ideal for slicing fish, fowl and proteins
- Longer, thinner profile with a semi-flexible blade for ‘pull slicing’
- Signature ZWILLING Micro-Carbide MC63 powdered steel core
- Blade comprises 100 layers of pure Damascus steel (50 per side)
- Precision ground to reveal a one-of-a-kind floral Damask patina
- Honbazuke honed to precise angles (between 9.5 and 12 degrees each side)
- CRYODUR® tempered for ultimate hardness, and sharpness retention
- Highly resistant to corrosion and flaking
- Finished with a brass mosaic pin and end-cap featuring the Miyabi logo
- Handmade by traditional craftsmen for ZWILLING in Seki, Japan